Assessment task details
This is an individual task, and the maximum allowed word count is 3000. It would help if you used the relevant literature, both academic and from the practitioner`s perspective. It is also important to offer an informative and facts-based view on the issues discussed. Avoid unreliable sources and base your answers on academic and policy papers and articles from the well-respected press (like Financial Times and The Economist). Be concise and succinct but, at the same time, provide well-developed arguments.
Aims of Module:
1. Understand the disruptive element of FinTech in modern banking.
2. Critically assess the impact of digital technology on modern finance.
3. Critically evaluate the impact of cryptocurrencies on the modern economy.
4. Develop a critical appreciation of the societal impact of FinTech.
5. Prepare students for the high-risk, high-return environment of the FinTech industry.
Knowledge and Understanding
Upon successful completion of the module, you will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the underlying technology driving FinTech.
2. Demonstrate a critical awareness of the disruptive nature of FinTech in the modern economy.
3. Evaluate the underlying methodology behind cryptocurrencies.
4. Appreciate the importance of government policy on FinTech.
5. Prepare a report on a FinTech-related subject.
Key Subject Specific Skills (maximum of 5)
On successful completion of the module, you will be able to:
6. Appreciate the future track of digital technology.
7. Appreciate the real-world impact of Fintech.
8. Familiarise yourself with some of the algorithms used in cryptocurrencies.
9. Appreciate the importance of cybersecurity in e-commerce.
10. Appreciate the impact of FinTech on global development.
For any essay-style answers and the group written report, they will be assessed on content, writing style and originality.
Concerning content, marks will be awarded for
• clarity and flow of argument
• knowledge of the extant literature and theory
• evidence of understanding the question asked
• use of examples and/or case studies
Regarding writing style, marks will be awarded for
• use of English. Essays should be grammatically correct, with no spelling or typing errors (in the case of the group written report)
• neat presentation
• structure, that is, use of paragraphs, headings and sub-headings
• bibliography (in the case of group written report).
You are required to follow the Harvard APA 7th edition referencing style for in-text citations and the list of references. The list of references is not included in the word count.
Question 1: What are the driving forces behind the evolution of Fintech from 1.0 to 3.5? Your answer should comprise concrete examples of socio-politico-economic factors and implications. Avoid vague and abstract ideas which you cannot explain appropriately.
Question 2: Managing Blockchain technology is proven to be more difficult than its inception and development. Using industry cases, evaluate the factors and practices that have led to the failure of the cryptocurrencies, their trading platforms, and crypto funds. Your evaluation should consider all aspects, such as legal, technological, economic, political, and social. [2000 words]