Learning Outcome 1: Explore current energy efficiency measures, technologies and policies specific to the building and transportation sectors Discuss current energy efficiency measures.
Learning Outcome 2: Determine the main factors that impact on energy use and efficiency in a building.
Learning Outcome 3: Discuss the technologies that could be used to support more sustainable transport.
Learning Outcome 4: Apply modelling of energy management in a building or electric vehicle using Matlab/Simulink (or equivalent)
Learning Outcome 5: Evaluate the selection of suitable technologies to improve energy efficiency in a building or electric vehicle
Learning Outcome 6: Analyse the dynamic performance of a power electronic converter for a given renewable energy source and calculate the energy and cost savings against conventional power sources, including consideration for development and installation costs.
Energy efficiency measures, technologies and policies specific to the building and transportation sectors
The topic of energy efficiency is gaining attention around the world due to global warming. An electrical/electronic engineer is required to have deep understanding of the concept of energy efficiency and how it may be applied for carrying out all types of energy-dependent activities, such as manufacturing products, heating/cooling buildings and transporting freight/passengers.The aim of this unit is to continue covering the topics discussed in units Unit 51: Sustainability and Unit 53: Utilisation of Electrical Power.
Topics included in this assignment are energy auditing, management, costs, requirements, and optimisation, energy and buildings and electric vehicles.On successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to have more advanced knowledge of how to improve energy efficiency in buildings and how to support sustainable transport.
• Reference the assessment criteria (assignment brief) when completing the assignment, to ensure all elements of each criterion are addressed.
• Appropriate referencing and citation should be used.
• Any images or visual information used from the internet must be labelled and referenced.
Task 1 Energy efficiency measures
Due to huge increases in fuel costs the company you work for has discussed.You have been given a new task to undertake research into how the business can assess the huge issues now arising in relation to energy efficiency. Your initial studies below are to structure an introduction covering the following areas -
• Outline global trends in use of energy.
• Review the energy efficiency of current technologies.
• Discuss ways of improving energy efficiency and the benefits of energy efficiency improvement.
• Outline the current state of energy efficiency measures, technologies, and policies specific to the building and transportation sectors.
Task 2 Building efficiency
Your next work project is to form a team and discuss the main factors that impact energy use and its efficiency withing the building you work in. The guidelines to discuss have been listed below -
• Overview of the significance of energy use and energy processes.
• Internal and external factors on energy use and the attributes of the factors.
• Status of energy use in buildings and estimation of energy use in a building.
• Standards for thermal performance of building envelope and evaluation of the overall thermal transfer.
• Measures and technologies to improve energy efficiency in buildings.
Task 3 Sustainable transport technologies
One of your previous findings due to research is the developments in sustainable transport. Your next task is to discuss the technologies that could be used to support more sustainable transport.Briefly discuss the following -
• Construction and working principle of electric vehicle (EV)
• Features of electric vehicles, this is including the function of the differential, the drive mechanism explanation and alternative approach such as two motors acting in tandem etc.
• Advantages and disadvantage of electric vehicle.
The next topic in the company`s development is to evaluate the selection of suitable technologies to improve energy efficiency in its buildings or staff electric vehicles. Your job is to create models using Matlab/Simulink to show management the structure and workings along with ways of to improving energy efficiency and management in buildings or staff vehicles.Your report should include the following aspects.
• Well-designed and well-constructed new buildings represent the best opportunity for reducing heating, cooling, ventilating, and lighting loads
• Establishing and maintaining energy management systems. Establishing and maintaining effective energy management systems for monitoring and controlling energy use in large public and commercial buildings is a low-cost means with which to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy demand
• Retrofitting existing buildings. Retrofitting existing buildings and replacing energy consuming equipment are critical for improving energy efficiency in cities where building stock turnover is low.
• The different developments in technologies that are showing improvements in electrical vehicles efficiency.
Finalise your findings by at the dynamic performance of a power converter for a chosen renewable energy source. Key aspects of comparison should be made in relation tothe energy and cost savings against conventional power sources, including consideration for development and installation costs.