Tourism Environment and Industry
Learning outcome 1: Understand and apply theoretical concepts and models relevant to the tourism industry and its academic study.
Learning outcome 2: Identify and explain the key components involved in the study of the contemporary tourism industry.
This assignment will encourage students to gain an understanding of the tourism principles and development of tourism industry.
The submission of a written essaythat discusses the tourism environment of a sustainable destination country of your choice,using a wide variety of research materials (2,000 words).
Essay (2,000 words)
You are required to produce an essay on "Understanding the tourism environment and its stakeholders at the tourism destination country of your choice" through the use of a variety of research materials.
The essay must include:
a) Introduction:You should give the reader an overview about what the essay is all about.
b) Paragraph 1:Define the concept of sustainable tourism and its principles for sustainable tourism development in your destination country.
c) Paragraph 2:Identify and discuss the role of stakeholders involved in the decision making of sustainable tourism development.
d) Paragraph 3:Analyse the macro environmental factors contributing to the sustainable development of your tourism destination (positively or negatively).
e) Paragraph 4:Analyse the competitive micro-environment and tourists` motivating factors influencing the demand of your tourism product.
f) Conclusion :You should provide summary and recommendations of your findings.
Introduction (200 words)
- Give the overview of what you will be discussing in the essay and introduce the contents. Mention which destination country you have selected for your essay.
Paragraph 1 (400 words)
Define the concept of sustainable tourism and its principles for sustainable tourism development in your destination country.
- First, define the concept of sustainable tourism (UNWTO definition - see WEEK 1 Lecture and Tutorial slides for reference)
- What are the rationales behind the sustainable tourism? Please list them.
- Why is it important for the decision makers to follow the sustainable approach?
- Provide examples of destinations where those principles were successfully applied and what benefits does it bring to the economy, society and environment?
Paragraph 2 (400 words)
Identify and discuss the role of stakeholders involved in the decision making of sustainable tourism development.
- First, identify which stakeholders play major role in decision making in order of importance and interest. Discuss at least 3 main stakeholders in this section and explain their reasons for their importance. For example:
- Public sector (e.g Government tourism policy and funding initiatives - see Week 1 lecture slides and read the case studies)
- Private sector (e.g businesses and smart technology to drive innovation?)
- Voluntary sector (NGOs organisations in conservations and community projects)
- Tourists (being responsible tourists, changing motivations, lifestyles and preferences - see Week 3 lecture slides)
- Host community ( community involvement at early stage a good idea? - see Week 3 lecture slides)
What are the Macro factors (SCEPTICAL) influencing the development of sustainable tourism? Please identify at least 3 factors and explain each of their benefits and costs for the tourism destination country. For example:
- Technological innovation trends (e.g digitalization- Smart tourism, e-tourism)
- Environmental trends (e.g Climate Change and Sustainability in tourism)
- Social and Cultural trends (e.g millennials market, personalization, cultural and authentic experience.
- Economic trends (e.g Boom and Recession period impacts)
What are the Micro factors (tourists motivating factors) influencing the demand for tourism in your destination country? Identify at least 3 factors and explain their reasons for the influence. For example:
- Internal factors of motivation (Intrinsic factor) Maslow`s hierarchy of needs - intangible rewards (fun, assurance and emotional needs such as self realization, social needs that can be materialized)
- Intrinsic factor - Tourists` perceptions about the destinations (observing, listening and reading about the subject). Also beliefs and values determine the choice.
- Intrinsic factor - Personality and travel destination choices - allocentric vs psychocentric.
- External factors of motivations (Extrinsic) - Money, Social class, Income and location, family and age.
Conclusion (200 words)
- Summarise your findings and provide recommendations for the future.
Reference Page.Minimum of 15 Sources, including Journals, Books and use a variety of academically accepted sources.