1. In your own word, describe what Lincoln considered to be threats to “the perpetuation of our political institutions” around 1838.
2. Quote from the speech itself to support your observations.
3. Next, identify what Lincoln argues is necessary to deal with these threats.
4. Then, again, take quotes from the speech that support your observations.
5. Lastly, move your discussion to today:
– Try to identify what YOU consider to be the modern version of the threats in 2023 that Lincoln identified in 1838.
– What do you think would be Lincoln’s advice for how to deal with these threats?