NSG 410 Week Seven Discussion Forum
1. Identify at least four vulnerable groups within your practicum or the community you selected for your community assessment.
Describe risks for each group and discuss.
Locate a community collaborative that is addressing the needs of vulnerable groups in your practicum community and describe its purpose.
2. Review your family history of chronic health conditions. Are you at risk? If so, what have you done to reduce your risk in the last 12 months?
3. Take an inventory of your house or apartment and make a list of modifications you would need to make if you were suddenly confined to a wheelchair.
Would you even be able to stay in your current residence?
4. Select a problem that places people at risk for mental disorders (e.g., child abuse and neglect, drug abuse) and do a search on the internet to find a reference that would be useful in a community education presentation.
Does the reference address the incidence and prevalence of this problem?
The interventions that are most effective in addressing it?
What can be done to prevent it?
5. As a community health nurse, how could you address the needs of the homeless population as an aggregate?
Identify and describe interventions for this population at each level of community health prevention.
6. Compare and contrast health, living, and working concerns between migrant workers and recent immigrants.
Discuss how many recent immigrants from places such as Asia, Russia, or Iraq experience the same hardships as migrant workers do.
How does nomadic lifestyle affect and differentiate the needs of migrant workers and recent immigrants?